Barry University is one of the nine universities in Florida that offers a CRNA program.
Address: 421 N 21st Avenue, Hollywood, FL 33020
Toll-free:1-800-756-6000, ext. 3379
Barry University offers a DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice) with a specialization in Anesthesiology. This school offers a well rounded program with the perfect learning environment for you to succeed. This program is 36 months (3 years) with 86 credit hours. If you want to get started in May, then you can start submitting your applications from April 1st. The typical class size is anywhere between 61 to 82 students.
This is a well rounded program where you can expect lecturers from a variety of backgrounds. Not only will you learn anesthesiology but also gain a deep understanding of the U.S. healthcare system which will enable you to provide the best treatment for your future patients.
This school is well known and its graduates are highly sought after graduation by hospitals around the country. 100% of the graduates between 2020 and 2023 successfully passed the NCE. In 2023, 97% of the graduates passed the NCE on their first attempt and in 2022, 94% of graduates passed on their first attempt.
This university is currently ranked #94 according to the U.S. News & World Report 2016. They are also currently accredited by the COA for the full 10 year period and the program will have to be reviewed again in May, 2032.
Cost for the entire program: $105,150
Cost per semester: $11,238
A further breakdown of the cost:
Program fee: $4,000
Clinical and lab fees: $3,500
Hazard insurance: $154
Tuition: $10,850 per semester
Additional costs: books, student services, graduation fee, student health insurance etc.
To start with, you will need to have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing by an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale. All of your official transcripts need to be submitted directly from the school to the NursingCAS.
Additionally, you will need to have a current unrestricted nursing license for the US. If you’re not from Florida, then you will need to be endorsed by the Florida Board of Nursing. You need to have a completely unrestricted Florida nursing license before you can start this program.
Critical Care Experience:
You will also need to have at least 1 year of critical care experience which has to be within the last 3 years before applying to this CRNA school. The required critical care experience isn’t restricted to particular areas, however, the experience needs to be hands-on. That said, you should have engaged in invasive and non-invasive monitoring as well as mechanical ventilation and pharmacologic infusions.
It is necessary to have completed certain college courses and they are as follows:
Next, you will need to provide an essay written in APA format which indicates that you understand the role of a nurse anesthetist.
Two references by health care professionals will also need to be submitted along with your application. They will need to be knowledgeable of your academic and clinical knowledge and experience. You will also be required to observe and shadow a CRNA.
Note that even if you meet all the minimum requirements as listed, that doesn’t guarantee you’ll be selected for an interview or accepted at Barry University. If you have been granted an interview, you will need to be prepared to show that you’re financially capable of undergoing the program without having to accept employment for the period of the program. If you do have issues with funding, then you should definitely look into the university’s Office of Financial Aid for possible options that can help you with funding.
In addition to having the right academic qualifications and financial ability, you will also need to show that you’re in good health, emotionally stable and conduct yourself with high standards of integrity. You will also need to adhere to the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists professional codes of conduct. In addition to this, you will need to show that your nursing license is not restricted and that you’re free from addiction and substance abuse.
When you apply, you will need to read and understand a list of Core Performance Standards which indicate the standards you’ll have to comply with for admission into this CRNA program, your progression and eventual graduation. You will have to declare any deficits you may have in these areas or that you are unaware of any deficits which will prevent your full functioning as a nurse anesthetist.
If you are accepted into the program, you will need to have a notebook computer or laptop that fits the criteria of the CRNA program along with the necessary software that will be specified. A portion of your studies will be online which means that your laptop will need to be capable of video teleconferencing. You will need to possess computer literacy and the ability to use email, the internet, Windows operating systems and word processing software.
You will need to take the GRE up to 5 years before you apply to this CRNA school. Your scores need to be determined as satisfactory by the Admissions Committee.
If you are not a native English speaker or did not graduate from a university where English was the main language of instruction (and you achieved a minimum of 24 college level academic units), you will need to do the TOEFL. In the written English test, you will need to achieve a score of at least 550
According to past interviewees, the interview was approximately 30 to 45 minutes and done by a panel of approximately 5 persons . A mix of personal and clinical questions were asked. Some people were asked more personal questions as opposed to clinical questions such as, why do you want to be a CRNA etc. The clinical questions are varied and they might ask you to answer specific questions related to your ICU specialty. Some people reported being asked simple Maths questions (without pen and paper).
1. You can become a CRNA via two tracks, the first one being the entry level Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) with a specialization in Anesthesiology. This track is referred to above. The second one is the Post-Master’s Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) with specialization in Anesthesiology for those who hold a master’s degree or higher.
2. If you’re not sure about whether you want to become a Nurse Anesthetist or not or if you want to prepare to apply to Barry’s CRNA program, you can take their Transition to Nurse Anesthesiology (ANE 695 Course). This is an online course that will take you about 45 hours to complete (3 credit hours). It will cover the topics that you’ll need to study in-depth in the actual CRNA program. Some of these include: Pharmacology and Physiology, Mathematics Review, Organic Chemistry Review, Critical Care Concepts and more. In order to apply for this course, you can submit your application here. Do note that you won’t have to do any labs for this course and financial aid isn’t available for it as well.
3. Another reason to choose Barry University over any other university is that they have a high tech learning environment which makes learning up to date and significantly easier.
4. The faculty are highly qualified and they provide all students with personalized attention from the start of the program until you graduate. This has lead to fantastic outcomes for the school where they have an excellent board passing rate
5. This program has been around since 1993 (30+ years), which makes it well established and it has full accreditation (until 2032).
6. The school has 5 different locations in Florida that you can select from and many clinical partners.
The average pay for a CRNA in Florida is $84.34 per hour or $175,433 per year according to ZipRecruiter and the highest paid CRNAs earn approximately $298,171 per year. Out of all the cities in Florida, you can earn more per hour in Port Saint Lucie ($134.11 per hour), Fort Lauderdale ($128.20 per hour), Boca Raton ($127.04 per hour) etc.
According to Salary.com, Florida CRNAs earn on average between $188,123 and $218,424 per year.
There are many other schools to choose from and you can view them all here.